The first ever Squilax Writers Retreat was held Sept 28 and 29 2019. Watch for our second one in the Spring! We were charmed by
- The unique and relaxing Squilax Caboose International Hostel.
- Extraordinary food including magical drinks that changed colour, and food shaped as trains in keeping with our "On track, Magically" theme. Though, "No probllama" also played into the theme!
- Mini workshops: creative tools for imagining goals and staying on track.
- Treasure hunt with llama themed writer's socks as a prize!
- Llama and critter play - Massey the Llama, Chilco the dog and Hamilton the cat loved cuddles. Okay, Massey the Llama not so much, but willing to show us some attention.
- Dinosaur eggs and jade rock hunting.
- Plenty of idea sharing, story telling, and resources.
- AND ESPECIALLY plenty of writing time - all the writers were pleased with their progress. Even me. Though my priority was keeping on top of things for the event and the writers, I easily snuck in a few hundred words in a cozy late evening.
Such a brilliant bunch of great people to spend a weekend with. Take home learning was very interesting: from discovering a firm bed was so helpful that one writer was going home to buy a new bed, to the hoarding of the "Emotional Trauma Thesaurus for Writer" (borrowed from writer and soon to be purchased by all,) to happiness at developing a new character or theme and simply getting lots of writing done.
Thank you, writers, for being a part of it all. And thank you, Blair @hishuswap for all your help! Next spring, it's happening again!